Wednesday 28 September 2016

Corrugated Bird On A Branch, Christmas, Kraft Card

Some of you will know that I've started using my husband's photography equipment for my blog photo's...  which means I'm on a bit of a learning curve to say the least.
What doesn't help however, is when this card was all finished up, photo's were taken on Saturday morning for me to edit, I say to my husband that they look blurry, he says no they don't...  and so I edit them anyway.   And then I show him and he agrees with me that they look blurry!
I mean, seriously?
Do you have any idea just how long it takes me to edit?!!

So there's been a three day delay getting this card online (he went away the following morning for two days with his beloved camera)...  and truth be told it still kind of looks a bit blurry to me - even though I took a new batch of photo's and edited them just yesterday.  But this card is heavy on texture and glitter spray and camera's don't seem to like that shine so much.
Oh well...


Do any of you Memory Box fans remember the Twigs and Berries die set?  If you do, you'll probably see straight away that's where I got my inspiration from for this months Memory Box 'Stencils' Challenge.

Take a look...






Here's a close up shot.  See what I mean about lots of glitter spray?





This card was such fun to make.

I've used three different Memory Box stencils (two current and one discontinued, but truth be told the discontinued one looks a lot like paint splatters anyway so it's easy to swap out if it's not in your stash).  Then I've cut out some circles, added a bird that I've made from corrugated card and covered in texture paste (the wing's from a Poinsettia die), added extra branches, lots of glitter spray, some berries (red enamel dots), torn paper edges, white acrylic paint...  and then basically I've just sandwiched the whole thing on to an embossed background that's been lightly Gessoed first (using watered down Gesso) with some 3D glue gel.  

It's a very 'me' style card...  kind of pretty but messy looking!
Speaking of 'me'...  When I told my husband that this was a 'me' style card, he said,  'I'm not surprised.  If you were a colour you would be brown'.
Brown with green accents, I think.  But I was very surprised by his astute observation...  Which leads me to ask the same of you.
If you were a colour, what colour would you be?
Get's you thinking, doesn't it?





Supplies Used:

Stencils:
Memory Box 'Leafy Stems'
Memory Box 'Sprinkle Dots'
Memory Box 'Splatter Spray'

Dies:
Memory Box 'Elodee Bird Background'
Poppystamps 'Small Luxe Poinsettia Background'
Memory Box 'Woodland Branch'
Memory Box 'Grove Branch'
Circle dies - I used MFT and Spellbinders, but any small ones will do.

Inks:
Tim Holtz/Distress 'Peeled Paint'
Tim Holtz/Distress 'Bundled Sage'
Tim Holtz/Distress 'Forest Moss'
Tim Holtz/Distress 'Frayed Burlap'
Tim Holtz/Distress 'Walnut Stain'
Tim Holtz/Distress 'Gathered Twigs'
Tim Holtz/Distress 'Black Soot'
VersaMagic 'Cloud White'

Other:
Texture Paste - White
Acrylic Paint - White
Enamel Dots - Red
Crafter's Companion 'Spray and Sparkle' - Pearl Diamond




Challenges I'm Entering...

Branch die cuts, bird and snow banks made from snippets)


Christmas In September


Challenge #31    'No Patterned Paper'


Add a Bird and/or Colours


Challenge #42    'Anything Goes'




If you've been kind enough to stop by twice in one day (once for this post and once for the last post), then thank you so very, very much.  Your kindness means a lot to me.

Take good care of yourselves...  and don't forget to answer my question - if you can!

Donna. x








36 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga.
      This is the most fun I've had in ages making something. I miss the detailed cards, but they take a lot of time to create! x

      Delete
  2. Mmm, lovely mixed media card xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is mixed media 'Donna' style!
      Thank you, Sarn. X

      Delete
  3. I think if I were a colour I'd probably be brown too, the sort of brown that aged terracotta plant pots go. A gorgeous card, and I can see that it was a real joy to create
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane... Nice to meet a fellow 'brown' person :)
      Your description was fantastic to read. I would be more of a deep, dark twig brown, x

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous card Donna! truly a you design and colour! love all the details and texture.
    Think I will have to say I`m Blue (duckegg) although I love pink and soft green LOL
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... I happen to know that blue and brown are a very good craft match :)
      Soft pink always makes me think of Candy Floss... which makes me feel hungry... and I love soft green's too.
      I have to say, duck egg blue's a lovely colour, Pam. I'll have to make a card with it one day... if I can ever find a good colour match!
      Sleep well. X

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous mixed media card, Donna! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Sheri.
      This one was a real playtime for me :) x

      Delete
  6. I love this card - it's fabulous!!! Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Donna! This is awesome! I especially love how you've done the bird and those "berries"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie. Maybe I'll amend the wording to say 'enamel dot berries'!!!
      Lol. X

      Delete
  8. blurry or not - this is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Christmas Card Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fantastic card Donna. I love your corrugated bird and the colours look gorgeous. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is so pretty! I love the details and textures.Thanks for joining us at The Christmas Card Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photo looks okay over here! But I do understand your frustration. However, I can the card and it is gorgeous!! your texture and color choices are beautiful!! I have great admiration for people who can do mixed media well and trust me you are no exception!! Thank you so much for joining us at HOC and it has been a pleasure to see your work..
    Cyber Hugs,
    Shawna DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cyber hugs right back at you, Shawna :)
      Thank you so much for your very, very kind words.
      I'm still experimenting with what I like to make, but I've got to say I do love using texture paste!
      Have a lovely weekend... And thank you for adding yourself to my followers list. I so appreciate it. x

      Delete
  12. Great mixed media card design. Thanks for sharing with Make My Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful! Great project!!! :)
    Thanks for sharing over at Christmas Card Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mandy :)
      Have a good weekend. X

      Delete
  14. Fabulous card! Love it!
    Thanks for joining us at Christmas Card Challenges this week and good luck!
    Monica - CCC DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica.
      Nice to find new challenges to play along with :)

      Delete
  15. Beautiful!! Thank you for joining us at House of Cards Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so lovely. Love the grungy look and the corrugated bird!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! I LOVE this! It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOve this darling bird, and the home you've given him, Donna! GREY = wow, what does that say about ME? xx
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what grey says about you... but I do know that it's a colour I'm beginning to enjoy more and more the older I get (except for my hair. First grey at 21 yrs old. Fighting a losing battle with it and it's not a colour that suits my colouring).
      Could be worse. At least I still have hair to complain about! X

      Delete