Tuesday 20 October 2015

Snow Globe/Stag, Aperture, Female

I was fortunate enough to win a Guest spot on the Design Team at City Crafter a few weeks ago and was over the moon at the theme I was scheduled to play along with for this week.
'Into The Wood' couldn't be more perfect for me as I adore making nature themed cards.  
But the rules were very clear..  Include 'wood' somehow in the design, but NO TREE!!!

My plan from the beginning involved the Stag and Snow Globe die along with the Woodgrain embossing folders.
As for the rest...  that was more trial and error.   That's often the way it goes for me (having a partial design in mind that I then have to 'play' with).  I don't know about you!

Here's the card...




My aim (please feel free to tell me if it worked or not) was to create a pretty 'girly' card that wasn't overtly girly.  Does that make sense?  I also purposefully chose the whole 'brown' look, but still wanted to achieve a CAS 'feel' to the design.  Clean and Simple meets Layered meets Aperture...

Dies used:
Taylored Expressions 'Birch Tree Accessory Set' (Stag)
Memory Box 'Large Snow Globe'
Marianne Design Collectables 'Tab With Text'
Memory Box 'Holly Vine'
Impression Obsession 'Pine Branch'
Open Studio 'Snowglobe Bases'

Embossing Folders:
Sizzix/Texture Fades 'Woodgrain' (Background)
Crafter's Companion 'Woodgrain' (Snow Globe Base)
Cuttlebug 'Snowflakes'

Stencil:
Memory Box 'Splatter Spray'

Gluing two cards together and then adding inner panels is a favourite trick of mine for aperture cards, but it does add to the weight quite a bit...  so these cards are generally reserved for hand delivery only.

(I generally console myself with the fact that at least they are sturdy rather than flimsy)!

A bow with a bell attached and three vanilla/champagne Morning Dew Drops...  and this card was done...

...  except for this...





I cant't wait to see what you design if you decide to play along :)




Challenges I'm entering...


(Monochrome or Colour...  and Why?)

I like the challenge of getting a Monochrome card to 'work' for me.



(Add Texture and/or Colour Inspiration)

I chose to add texture.  



The Sisterhood of Crafters
(Die-lirious and Punchy)



Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge

Creative Card Crew
(Challenge #98 'Ribbon')



Pixie's Crafty Snippets Challenge

My patterned paper and stag were both cut from my snippets stash.



(SSC112)



(Challenge #130 'Christmas to Die for')



Cas-UAL Chic
(CCC04)

Stencilling, Die Cutting, Embossing.



Hope you are having a good week so far...
My thoughts are with those of you I know are having a rough time right now.




59 comments:

  1. Donna, this is splendid! Just LOVE this woodland card and your style! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend :)
      You are also very talented. X

      Delete
  2. WOW WOW WOW, what a beautiful card, so much details and great texture too! Thanks for being our guest this week at CCCB, so honored to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kirsty.
      Really happy to have to opportunity to be a part of your DT for this lovely challenge theme :)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely fabulous card Donna - I've said before, you really don't know just how talented you are! Great to see you in the Playground, and I've now added a 'follow by email' gadget on the RHS sidebar. You're the first person ever to mention this BTW - it's there for you now!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Di,
      Once I've caught up with your blog posts I shall add the gadget :)

      Delete
  4. This is stunning!!! Absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks so much for joining us as GD this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW what a fabulous creation you ended up with! I love it! Very striking! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘DIE-LIRIOUS & PUNCHY’ challenge and please come back again soon!
    Darlene
    one of the 'Sistahs'
    The Sisterhood of Crafters
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Darlene :)
      Thank you for your very kind words.
      First time playing along with you all but hope to come again :)

      Delete
  6. What a unique layout. I would say you accomplished your goal. Love it. Thanks for joining the Sisterhood's "Die-lirious and Punchy" challenge,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! This is stunning! Beautiful winter card, love the colors and those die cuts! Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps, hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the colours. Thanks for your very kind words :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Annette :)
      I'll pop by for a proper hello on your blog. X

      Delete
  9. I am blown away with your take on our theme. And glad you liked it:). A deer is my favorite animal; I fell in lwith you handmade gem! You bio was impressive. . I know a bit about children with an autistic spectrum. (My nephew has Asperger syndrome) And your daughter blessed with parents like you.
    I am so proud and happy to have you as our Guest Designer at CCCB. It's a privilege to have you with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stella :)
      Thank you so much for your kind words. My daughter is an Aspie - I just don't use that term anymore as Asoerger's Syndrome was officially phased out a while ago. Pity really as I think it needed it's own terminology.
      Glad you like the card. I used my Cuttlebug 'snow' embossing folder to emboss the deer on the inside. Will try and get a photo of that sorted tomorrow.
      If you have the time, please read my 'about me' section... and get back to me if you can. It will tell you how my daughter was diagnosed.
      Thanks again for taking the time to type such lovely words :)
      Donna...

      Delete
  10. Wonderful scene you have created Donna, love your aperture window, really affective & gorgeous colours and details.
    Hugs
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam.
      Had to 'push the boat out' as it was a guest DT!!!
      Glad it worked out :)

      Delete
  11. Fabulous layering and dimension - it has a clean and fresh look - the brown is beautiful and not overpowering at all. Great job ! Thanks so much for being our GD at City Crafter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful woodsey card! I love all of your details! Congrats on your GD spot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully designed card! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Judy :)
      Thank you. Glad you like the design.

      Delete
  14. Works perfectly on all levels, it's stunning xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lesley :)
      Popping over to your blog for a proper 'hello'. x

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous and stunning. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Creative Card Crew.
    Hugs
    Cathy DT Member
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy :)
      Nice to find new challenges to play along with!

      Delete
  16. Wow! Your card is stunningly beautiful! I love it! Thanks or joining us at Sunday Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally AMAZING card! I LOVE the fun fold the fabulous dies, and the beautiful texture! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your gorgeous aperture design certainly 'works' for me! The monochrome colour scheme is really elegant - thanks for joining in our challenge at As You Like It!
    Hugs, Kat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kat :)
      Appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment. X

      Delete
  19. This is a beautiful card! I love the dainty vines on the left side paired with the rugged wood. Well done! Great texture too! :) Thank you so much for joining us at House of Cards! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katy :)
      Those dainty vines were a must have die for me that I sourced from the US as had been discontinued for some time!
      Glad you like the contrast of dies, etc used. It's a real mix of masculine and feminine on this card, I think. Just glad it 'worked'!!!

      Delete
  20. Simply STUNNING Donna. . . . you are very talented. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :)
      Poor Lesley's been banned from the playground. I wonder what she got caught doing!!!
      Don't know about talented... more I get 'brain wedgies' that make me do things that take a long time!
      *Waves* from the playground. X

      Delete
  21. Your card is so wonderful! I love it! Thank for entering the CAS-ual Chic challenge. Hugs, Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your card is absolutely stunning. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great card. Thanks for joining us at CHNS patterned Paper Challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cass. Nice to have somewhere to remind me to use my patterned papers :)

      Delete
  24. I have an idea in mind for a 'grungier' version of this card using the same aperture layout but different die cuts. Wonder when I'll get a chance to try that one out???
    Glad you like the card :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW what a fascinating card,,,,love it Donna
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dr Sonia :)
      I like trying out my ideas... but sometimes that means a card takes a long time to make.
      Glad you love it :)

      Delete
  26. Oh My God
    your opening card with DEER is stunning
    love all element on your card
    and great usin our sketch
    Luv this so much
    thanks for sharing with us this time at Sunday Stamps
    see you again maybe next time
    hugs,
    Monika (DT member)

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, stunning! so glad you played along with us at sunday stamps!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loving all the beautiful textures you've incorporated into your card. Thank you for joining us at House of Cards.

    sue
    HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Appreciate you taking the time to stop by :)

      Delete
  29. This is exquisite! That's all that needs to be said! Thanks for joining Sundy Stamps! this week!

    ReplyDelete