Thursday 11 June 2015

Handmade with Care, Bees & Leaves, Kraft Card

I didn't realise just how many Poppystamps dies I had until the other day.  I'd convinced myself I didn't have that many and wouldn't have anything suitable for a card for a man...  Turns out I was wrong, and although my Poppystamps collection isn't as big as my Memory Box one it's slowly catching up :)

Here's my finished card...




...  And here's my question.  Who's looked at my design and thought 'pink label...  for a man...  really???'

Come on...  be honest.  I certainly was torn on this one and my husband certainly doesn't like it.  His words were, 'nature theme...  doesn't work...  needs a brown label'.
So I tried a brown label and do you know what?  It was too drab.  So I tried different shades of brown...  and blue instead...  and red... and I'm sorry but I like the pink label.

That left me with a dilemma because I don't look at that many cards made for men, but I've never seen one with pink on it.  But men wear pink shirts and pink ties in this day and age...  so why not?

That's my justification over and done with :)
I would love to know what you think.  Have I gone a step too far?

Either way, I love the simplicity of this card.  And I love the Meadow Leaf die that Poppystamps have sadly discontinued - except for in digital format.

Those of you who are exceptionally observant may have noticed that I've swapped the colouring around on the large Jolly Bumble Bee (Memory Box).  The usual yellow body with black stripes just didn't look right for this card.  (I'm sorry to say that this die is also discontinued, but there may still be some available somewhere).  As for the other bee...  that's a new acquisition of mine from the Open Studio/Memory Box 'Busy as a Bee' set.

My label stamp's by Hero Arts.  I like the fact that you can add real stitching to this if you want to.  I tried it out for this card but in the end the simplicity of no thread worked best of all.  Maybe on my next card...  who knows?

It's a beautifully bright and sunny day here today, so I'm off to catch up on some washday chores.

'Bye for now :)

Donna

10 comments:

  1. I think pink is fine ,my husband might have said the same as yours to be honest! I always have color on my guy cards. I like the pink ! Thanks for joining us in the Poppystamps Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marybeth :)
      So glad somebody agrees with me!
      I'll pop over to your blog a little later. Any guy cards in particular I should look at?
      Donna. X

      Delete
  2. I think the card looks GREAT! My hubbie is a graphic designer and he loves all kinds of color! I think it has a wonderful balance and that makes a great card!Thanks for playing along with us over on Poppystamps!
    Take care!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michele.
    I appreciate you taking the time to comment so kindly. It let's me know what I made wasn't an epic fail!!!
    You take care, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic card Donna, pink looks great! most men do not really notice what colour we use.. (My men anyway) love these bees..so cute.
    thanks for sharing on Poppystamps challenge blog.

    Hugs Pam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny :)
      My husband's told me before now that men don't really care what's on a card - then he had the cheek to complain when he saw this design in progress!!!

      Delete
  5. Love how the bees stand out against the kraft background! Cool label too - looks very realistic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh Donna! I just love those honeybees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne.
      Me, too! They are definately on my favourite dies I own list :)
      Glad you like them :)

      Delete